Join Our Team
Human Resources Manager
Human Resources Manager - fixed term, 12 month contract
Humpty Dumpty Childcare are seeking an experienced human resources manager to join our growing business. This is a fixed term (1 year) contract. We currently manage 4 nurseries and provide a service for in excess of 250 families. We plan to add a further nursery to our business in the later part of 2022, which will increase our occupancy by a further 50 places. In this position, you will provide professional and comprehensive HR support to SMT and nursery managers across the business.
We are passionate childcare professionals who work hard to ensure the children in our care have both happy memories and curious minds from their time with us. We are looking for a human resource manager to join us and apply the same care & attention to the continued expansion of our business. You will share our company values; being personal in your communication, professional in your aim to achieve excellence in all areas and putting our children and their families at the heart of everything you do.
- You will manage all aspects of the day to day HR activity (e.g. employee relations processes, including: Holiday and sickness leave, Statutory Maternity / Sickness schemes, return to work processes) whilst evaluating and developing a long-term HR strategy for the business.
- Work closely with the finance department, to analyse the ‘on costs’ to recruiting new staff and maintaining required standards to the business (e.g. DBS’s checks, single central register, uniform, electronic equipment, mandatory training programmes).
- Ensure all paperwork related to HR activities such as employment contracts, offer letters, job descriptions, and leaver’s documentation are up to date.
- You will contribute to the attraction and retention of high performing employees by ensuring that effective, lawful selection and recruitment strategies are put in place.
- Liaise with WBW solicitors to ensure compliance with contract amendments, disciplinary procedure, and annual updates.
- Contribute to the management of Performance Management Framework scheme and pay and grading processes.
- Work with the LT to develop and maintain proactive and positive employee relations, via staff forums, questionnaires, etc.
- Contribute to the smooth running of payroll and effective working relationships with finance team; providing competent, timely and accurate interventions as necessary.
This role will be based at our main office in Totnes, and you will report to the Founder/Managing Director. You will be responsible for redefining our HR strategy and making sure it is fit for purpose. This is a very dynamic role, you will have the opportunity to get involved in a variety of HR projects as part of a close-knit team, no two days will be the same! You will attend weekly management meetings and present your numbers. You will work closely alongside our Leadership Team.
You will ideally be university – or equivalent – educated with at least 5-years’ experience in a similar role. You do not necessarily require any prior childcare-industry experience, though will have natural empathy and understanding of the sensitive nature of the work we do. You will be highly computer literate and comfortable with Excel in particular.
1. Excellent written and spoken communication skills and good numeracy skills.
2. Must be able to work within a team, but also able to work individually and use own initiative.
3. Ability to prioritise effectively, managing several tasks simultaneously whilst maintaining excellent attention to detail.
4. Able to cope well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
5. Computer literate and be able to use Microsoft Office products proficiently.
6. Proven experience working within a HR function of an engineering, or manufacturing organisation.
7. Ideally graduate level background
8. CIPD qualified / working towards
9. Driving Licence
And finally, you will be passionate about being a valued member of the HDC team, playing a vital part in ensuring that the business flourishes, enabling HDC to provide an exceptional and nurturing environment to care for the next generation.
Benefits and Remuneration:
This is an exciting opportunity to take a vital role in an established but growing business. Alongside a generous salary, you will be offered discounted childcare, 28 days paid leave and a company pension scheme. Flexible working hours will be considered for the right candidate.